Musings of a fab and thirty Hannah

My photo
I love God, my Husband, my daughter and Rugby Union. These are my musings.....

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Skiing the Milky Way

I spent last week closer to God - literally and metaphorically! Skiing is the time I feel most close to God. I love the Mountains. I love their beauty, their power, their strength and their peacefulness.

There were several moments when the sun hit my face, or I turned my head and was struck by the power of the God I worship. It was refreshing to have time to thank Him, to take a deep breath and inhale the cold clean air. To feel myself alive in creation.

I had a great time. After playing Mum trying to get six adults to Gatwick for 3.45 am and onto a flight, I relaxed almost instantly. We arrived in resort at noon giving us half a day to get kit, passes and generally chill out. One large pizza and a cold glass of beer outside in the winter sun later and my mission was accomplished.

The skiing was good. After a break of three years I remembered how to do it, after falling on my very first run. The highlight of my week was doing the 2006 Olympic Women's Downhill course - without the gates and significantly slower than the two minutes it takes the pros. Another great bit was shunning the package company's trip to France, chartering a taxi from our hotel owner, driving to Montgenevre and skiing back to Italy and our Hotel in Sauze D'Oulx (note to self the long wiggly runs on the piste maps are paths and should be avoided for the sake of sanity and my knees). The Milky Way is a lovely ski area, and even in a week with little new snow we did not struggle to ski different and challenging runs. The area has benefited from the Olympics and facilities are good. Unfortunately 95 Euros was too much for 60 seconds on the Bobsleigh run, and I'm not sure my ample behind would have made it out of the sled!

Sadly this is the last time I am going to ski out of school holidays with the luxury of wide open empty runs like the one in Sestriere above. However I am sure that I will ski again with friends and maybe my own little family. It is a joy I don't want to miss out on. H x

No comments: