Musings of a fab and thirty Hannah

My photo
I love God, my Husband, my daughter and Rugby Union. These are my musings.....

Monday, August 20, 2007

Carmen Jones

I went with James, Lucinda and Kim to see Carmen Jones at the refurbished Royal Festival Hall on Friday night. I booked tickets after a sunny evening on the Southbank created a desire to 'do more London'.

However the weather on Friday was not the balmy summer eve I had been envisaging. Despite this we ate Al Fresco at Giraffe, chatted and enjoyed the general atmosphere of one of London's trendiest areas.
The inside of the Royal Festival Hall is a bit like being in a rich old lady's house! It's smart but has a certain retro charm! We had seats three rows back which gave a rather upward view of some scenes and made us feel a bit intrusive in some of the more intimate ones!
Despite this it was a good performance and I enjoyed it. I am not an Opera fan so it was a rather off kilter move to book tickets for an Opera adaptation. Tsakane Valentine Maswangany played Carmen I was struck by her strength and stage presence despite her tiny frame. I think I could have put my hands round her waist.
She played the female anti hero well, and her sickly sucking up to Joe made my skin crawl. Hearing the orchestra was great and the tunes are well known. There were times when the intonation of the singers let them down and I had to struggle to hear what they were singing.
All in all a great evening in London Town xxx




No comments: