Musings of a fab and thirty Hannah

My photo
I love God, my Husband, my daughter and Rugby Union. These are my musings.....

Friday, April 09, 2010

www.justgiving.com/pcflash

www.justgiving.com/pcflash 
About this time last year I started thinking that James could run the London Marathon. He had run a few 10k events easily and said he enjoyed running. Through my volunteering with Alice's former charity I had been to the London marathon a few times. I had always been struck by the commitment and sheer guts of the runners - but their stories, their determination and the amounts of money they raise for amazing causes usually reduced me to tears.
James was fairly agreeable to the idea as long as I did the admin and got him a place. We applied to the ballot but I also thought about which charities I could apply to. There are so many 'good causes' and many which we have a link to or a reason to support.The one which I chose is not a trendy charity, dealing with a high profile issue. It is a charity that deals with a socially unacceptable issue, one which is rarely spoken of in public. It is an issue that causes 2 women a week to die. It is an issue that my husband, through his work, deals with on a daily basis. It is something that should not happen, but does, behind closed doors and causes women and children great pain, suffering and self doubt. On average a woman will experience it 35 times before she calls the Police. I applied to Refuge, the UK charity that helps women and children out of Domestic Violence, and they gave James a place. I am lucky that my marriage is strong and stable, and I come from a stable family. I have never had to experience the horror of domestic violence, but I have heard stories from James who responds to 999 calls, and my dad through his work and volunteering.
Refuge need James, and all their runners, to raise at least £1800 each to make their place worthwhile. As of writing James has raised 68% of that so over 2/3rds. There are 2 weeks and 2 days to go. It would be great if James could cross the finish line on 25th April knowing that his fundraising was done. If you've been thinking about donating but haven't yet here are some facts about James' training:
He has run over 300 miles in training.
He has trained for over 40 hours.
He has been out in all weathers - snow, wind and rain - lots and lots of rain.
He has eaten more pasta than an average Italian grandmother.
He has completed 3 half marathons in under 1 hour 55 minutes.
He has dressed up as Q from James Bond.
He has reduced his alcohol intake significantly.
He has lost one toenail, and two more are black and ready to fall off.
He wants to run in under 4 and a half hours.
He has made some great new friends: Caz, Tris, Bren, Andy, Max and Mr Yummy.
His nipples have bled.
He has found new uses for Vaseline.
And finally,
He is excited but anxious and never wants to run a marathon again (but we'll see;-))
So click here: www.justgiving.com/pcflash and give what you can.
Thank you

No comments: